Friday, March 27, 2009

Bad Breaks (Part 2)

Regular readers of this blog know that I broke my right femur in a fall from my Seavo tandem a little over one year ago. My stoker, Liz, was uninjured. She also saved my life by dragging me off of the metro railroad tracks, moments before a metro train came around the corner. I have recovered fully.

In an incredible coincidence, Liz fell down a hill and onto some concrete three weeks ago and broke her right femur. Now we both have broken right femurs. Her break was within an inch of the location of mine. Unfortunately, it is too high to save her hip joint so, unlike me, she's getting a total hip replacement instead of a rod and screws like me. One of the benefits of the hip replacement is that she can be full weight bearing from Day 1. I couldn't put weight on my leg for 6 weeks.

She has been anxious to get back on the tandem so we will try a short test ride this afternoon.