Sunday, January 27, 2008

Three Weeks Post Surgery

It's been three weeks now since my accident and surgery to repair my broken femur. I've completed my two weeks of blood thinnner shots and have been getting in home therapy three times a week. Tomorrow I go to the doctor to get the staples pulled out of my incisions and to get X rayed. Although I'd love to start weight bearing on my leg, my doctor told me at the hospital that I'd need six weeks with no weight bearing after the surgery. So, I'm assuming that even if the X rays look good I won't be able to put weight on my leg for another three weeks.

I get around on my walker and my wheelchair. Fortunately my house is wheelchair friendly. I've learned a few tricks over the last three weeks. In the morning I make a thermos full of coffee and take it back to my study with a clean cup. That way I can enjoy several cups of coffee without having to wheelchair back to the kitchen for refills. I've learned to shower on one leg and to dress myself sitting down. I had a pretty scary episode of sleep apnea last week. I woke up gasping for air all through the night. Although I am overweight, I've never had this problem before. I decided to give up the hydrocodone I've been taking every four hours. That did the trick and I haven't had another episode since. It's going to be a long three weeks.