Saturday, January 19, 2008

Healing

It's been almost two weeks since the accident and I'm doing fine. As I mentioned in my last post, I'm not supposed to put any wieght on my leg for a month or so. That makes the routine of daily living inconvenient. I get around on a walker and a wheel chair.

My stoker, Liz, has been taking good care of me. Each morning and evening she gives me my blood thinner shot, walks me through my exercises when the therapist isn't here and generally does the things for me that I can't do for myself.

I wear a support stocking on my right leg which, along with the blood thinner, makes it less likely that I'll get a blood clot. A blood clot or DVT (deep vein thrombosis) is a common problem for anyone who stays off their feet for an extended period. Wearing the stocking cuts the risk of a DVT almost in half. They're not comfortable and they're hard to put on, but they serve a purpose.