Monday, August 24, 2009

Saving Weight

How many times have you heard someone say, "If I really wanted to save weight on this bike I'd lose some weight"?

I've said that to my riding friends many times. My weight has been steadily rising over the years, taking me from a sleek 166 when I got out of the Marine Corps all the way up to 282 this July. Things were getting to the point that there were several bikes I just couldn't ride because I was over the weight limit. I've tried many diets and found that i could lose the weight, but I just couldn't keep it off. Exercise wasn't the answer either. I consider myself an active person and I love being on the bike, but the more I exercised, the fatter I got.

So, on July 28 I had a sleeve gastrectomy here in Houston.


The surgery was laproscopic. I had it on a Tuesday, was home on Wednesday and back at work on Monday. I was riding again about 10 days after the surgery.

80% of my stomach has been permanently removed. What remains is the size and shape of a banana. I feel stuffed after eating only 4 ounces of food. So far I've lost 27 pounds in the last 4 weeks. I look forward to dropping another 70 pounds or so. I feel great and only wish I had done it sooner.

My stoker and I will be heading up to Wichita Falls on Friday for the Hotter N' hell 100. I can't wait.